Like most children, there are certain things that my kids are picky about. Burke has always been very picky about what he wears (Hewitt on the other hand will wear just about anything I set out for him) and about what he eats. Burke's not a big eater (not a shocker since he is 46 inches tall and just barely hit 40 pounds) and he actually likes most healthy foods in general including vegetables (tossed salad has been a forever favorite) and fruits, etc. The issue is more of him wanting to have control over choosing what he is eating and for some reason he does not like the word "lunch." I have learned that if I say, "Hey Burke, would you like a snack?" then he is much more open to the idea of eating (which is funny because I offer the exact same foods no matter what we call it). Lately I've grown tired of rattling off all of the lunch choices --and believe me, I've tried offering only two choices that I'm happy with (Love and Logic Parenting) but then Burke will ask, "Why can't I have tuna mom? Why didn't you list that as a choice?" but he will usually respond with "nothing." Hewitt (who chooses other issues to be stubborn about) would eat the same ol' turkey and cheese sandwich everyday if I gave it to him.
Well, I've recently discovered something so simple and easy that has been a sure-fire success! I have found that if I turn a meal/snack into a little "food face" then Burke is delighted with just about anything I serve him and eats the entire thing with a smile. This is great for a couple of reasons: no more lengthy discussions about what to have for lunch (do your kids ever change their minds about what they want for lunch after you have already made it? eliminated), I can use whatever is in my fridge or pantry, the kids stay entertained during lunch and get creative changing the face around and pretending that the face can no longer see, hear, etc. And finally, more often then not the entire face disappears and a little more time than usual goes by before they are telling me that they are hungry again. Now when I ask my kids what they want to eat, the reply is a simple, "face." Here are a few of our recent faces:
Well, I've recently discovered something so simple and easy that has been a sure-fire success! I have found that if I turn a meal/snack into a little "food face" then Burke is delighted with just about anything I serve him and eats the entire thing with a smile. This is great for a couple of reasons: no more lengthy discussions about what to have for lunch (do your kids ever change their minds about what they want for lunch after you have already made it? eliminated), I can use whatever is in my fridge or pantry, the kids stay entertained during lunch and get creative changing the face around and pretending that the face can no longer see, hear, etc. And finally, more often then not the entire face disappears and a little more time than usual goes by before they are telling me that they are hungry again. Now when I ask my kids what they want to eat, the reply is a simple, "face." Here are a few of our recent faces:
"Tuna Eyes"--I tell you Burke eats every bite
"Turkey Lips/Bagel Ears"
And my favorite, "Almond Mustache"
10 comments:
OK, you are ridiculously clever. Those look too fun to eat!
Love it! I'd eat that too!!
Your boys sure are lucky to have you!
Those faces make me laugh! I'm going to have to try that.
That is awesome. I must try this!
this is the cutest thing! i don't even have kids and i want a food face for lunch!
Genius, Tams. You should send it to parenthacks.com
In the past I have used cookie cutters to cut out sandwiches in different shapes or made at-home "Lunchables" in divided containers, but this is way cooler! Maybe it will work for Bud. He doesn't like lunch either but loves snacks. I'm going to give it a try. Hope Hewitt is feeling better.
Oh my goodness. If only to go back 12 years and foresee Tamsen making faces just so her kids will eat! I am laughing SO hard! They are such cute faces. I don't have the problem with kids not eating. They just won't stop eating. Breakfast, snack, snack 2, lunch, post-lunch, snack, snack, dinner, snack, dessert. A friend recently said that once she realized her purpose and mission in life was food, she relaxed quite a bit.
P.S. you have the haircut I wanted! No fair! Can I borrow your cosmetologist?
Love ya!
Those are hilarious! I love them!!! My worry is that if I ever started doing that, they would always expect it. But so worth it. I can't believe that Burke is only 40 lbs....I think Will may just barely have him beat! What an amazing mom you are!!!
I don't think we've ever met, but I grew up with Rob's sister, Susan. My mom's visiting their parents right now, and sent me blog addresses for you, Jana, and JaneAnne. So, I hope you don't mind me snooping on your page. I love your food faces. You inspired me to do one for lunch with my kids, and they were loving it. I need to do those more often! :)
Post a Comment